Sunday, May 15, 2011

Saving the Monstrumologist




From Rick Yancey's Facebook: "I have just received word that the publisher of the series will NOT be renewing the contract for any future books after the release of Isle of Blood in September. Though the good folks at Simon & Schuster are quite proud, as I am, of the books’ critical success, sales simply have not been what either of us had hoped for. In short, the series is dead unless by some miracle sales of the books take off. I wanted to take this opportunity to publically thank S&S for believing in this project, my family for supporting me through the long nights and weekends while I struggled to “edit” Will Henry’s journals, and, of course, you, the fans of the series who have cheered for its success. I am very proud of you and very thankful that you came to share my passion for these characters and their world. I encourage you to share your passion with your friends and feel free to drop me a line here or at my website. If you are so inclined, you may contact the publisher at the link attached or write to it at Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers, 1230 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10020. Thanks again!"

When I read this on Friday, I was rather upset, as The Monstrumologist is one of my favourite series currently being written. I will definitely be writing to Simon & Schuster, and I encourage other fans to do the same. I understand that sales have not been as good as were expected, but I would think the publisher would wish to support a series that has done well critically. Despite this outcome, I hope that Mr. Yancey will continue to write The Monstrumologist series and that it may find a home elsewhere.

Those unfamiliar with The Monstrumologist series, can read my reviews for volume one here and for volume two here.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sad to hear that this series has been discontinued! They're original and a great scare, which is saying something because it takes a lot to frighten me. I hope the author continues too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the information. I did not know this. Sometimes it can take a while for good books to catch on. I remember being at a conference where the well-known writer Michael Connelly said he was thankful he got published when he did because then publishers were a little more willing to give an author's work more time to catch on. Now, it seems to me, it's too much the one and done mentality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found out about this today. It's so upsetting! These books are some of the most inventive, affecting, freaking GENIUS books being written today. I definitely want to write to Simon and Schuster and give them a piece of my mind!

    ReplyDelete